“Love is what we are born with. Fear is what we have learned here.”
I remember that love. I remember feeling pure joy and being completely without fear. I was very young, very,very young. How old I was, I don’t remember. I only know that that love did not last long at all.
Fear set in. So, did anger, hate, doubt, and frustration with life and people all around me, as well as myself. These feelings compounded and compounded and I strayed so far from love. I even hated the idea of love–because in my mind love only lead to hurt and this hurt was incredibly painful.
I know that my fear and hateful feelings towards myself were learned. I can look back and see where some of my fear developed and why my self-love became practically non-existent.
If I have to thank any one person for my return to love of myself and others, it would be the very inspirational Marianne Williamson. When I was 22, I came across her book, A Return to Love in the New Release section at the library. I was going through much heartache, so that title captured my attention.
I opened the book and began to read it. I related right away to her words, but then she started to talk about God. At that time, I classified myself as an atheist, so I was about to close the book, thinking “Great! Another God book!” Fortunately, I felt compelled to keep reading and chose to ignore the many references to God. I am so glad that I chose to read this book because I believe it was the beginning of my return to loving myself again.
Ever since then, I have been listening to and reading everything that Marianne Williamson has shared. With her inspiring words and those of others, as well as learning to trust my inner self, I do feel that love that I remember as a little girl. It’s beautiful and so refreshing.
Marianne Williamson is a lovely and open hearted woman that I am thankful broke out of her own struggles so that she was able to share them with all of us so we can grow…thus encouraging each other to Return to Love. The love is what I believe will help heal our world and encourage it to be a more peaceful place for us to live.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from Marianne. I hope they inspire you:
- We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?’
Actually, who are you not to be?
- “The perfect you isn’t something you need to create because God already created it….the perfect you is the love within you…remove the fearful thinking which surrounds your perfect self.”
- “We are not held back by the love we didn’t receive in the past, but by the love we’re not extending in the present.”
“There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.”
- “We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what’s wrong in our life, or we can focus on what’s right.”
- “I’m amused when people say they don’t have time to meditate because when you meditate you quite literally have more time…time and space are illusions of consciousness”
- “As children, we were taught to be ‘good’ boys and girls, which of course implies we were not that already. We were taught we’re good if we clean up our room, or we’re good if we make good grades. Very few of us were taught that we’re essentially good. Very few of us were given a sense of unconditional approval, a feeling that we’re precious because of what we are, not what we do.”
- “Know that there’s enough room for everyone to be passionate, creative & successful. In fact, there’s more than room for everyone;
there is a need for everyone.”
- “We cannot give what we do not have: We cannot bring peace to the world if we ourselves are not peaceful. We cannot bring love to the world if we ourselves are not loving. Our true gift to ourselves and others lies not in what we have but in who we are.”
- “There is no single effort more radical in its potential for saving the world than a transformation of the way we raise our children.”
- “Something amazing happens when we surrender and just love. We melt into another world, a realm of power already within us. The world changes when we change. the world softens when we soften. The world loves us when we choose to love the world.”
- “…available people are the ones who are dangerous, because they confront us with the possibility of real intimacy.”
- “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.”
- “Everything we do is infused with the energy with which we do it. If we’re frantic, life will be frantic. If we’re peaceful, life will be peaceful. And so our goal in any situation becomes inner peace.”
- Fill your mind with the meaningless stimuli of a world preoccupied with meaningless things, and it will not be easy to feel peace in your heart.